This website is owned and operated by Roy Charles trading as Magic Charlie.
We're committed to protecting and respecting your privacy in line with new EU-wide Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
This policy explains (hopefully in plain English) how and why we use the information you have given us and how we keep it secure. GDPR also gives you new rights and much more control over your personal data. We'll tell you about all this below as well.
How we collect information from you
Obviously, we collect information about you when you contact us about products and services. We also collect limited information when you visit our website via cookies. These help us improve and personalise our site. We've explained more about both in sections 3 and 4 below.
What are cookies and how do we use them
Cookies are set by our social media widgets which enable visitors to engage with our various social platforms direct from our site. The social media third parties we use are Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Google+.
If you prefer, you can easily turn cookies off in your browser settings.
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/
- Microsoft Edge: https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
How we handle information collected when you contact us about products or services
GDPR requires all businesses to have a lawful basis to process personal data about a customer/prospective customer. The law sets out six different lawful bases to choose from. Business owners have to explain to you how and when we process your data and the legal basis for each occurrence. Currently, our processing fits into three of the six available bases.
'Contractual' basis - this is when processing your data is obvious and necessary, for example, you submit an enquiry and ask us to get back to you or you contact us to book a show. Please be assured, we will only use this data for the purposes of offering relevant services to you.
'Legitimate Interests' basis - we may contact you again after we have provided our services. For example, we might email you in the future to remind you about our services. The law says businesses cannot send marketing emails or texts to individuals without specific consent. However, there is a limited exception if you are a previous customer as long as we only contact you about the same or similar products. The jargon for this is 'soft opt-in' - so no affirmative consent required.
'Legal Obligation' basis - some processing is necessary because we have to comply with the law. For example, when you hire our services. HMRC require us to keep records for at least 5 years.
Security of your data
When you give us personal information, we take steps to ensure that it's treated securely. We will absolutely not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- When you call, email or contact us via our website, any personal information you give is recorded and stored safely. Our website host is DTX Host, a UK company with data centres in the USA and UK. DTX are GDPR compliant.
- We use Google as our email provider. Google services are compliant with GDPR and email is encrypted by default to prevent other people from reading them.
- When you use our website https://www.charliesmagic.co.uk any information you send will be secure and communications between your browser and the website are encrypted (SSL).
- We record our bookings in a traditional paper diary. We make it difficult, if not impossible, for unauthorised people to access this. However, for peace of mind, the entries in the diary don't contain personally identifiable information.
Access to your personal information
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) provides increased rights for individuals. This is the full list of individual's rights. They don't apply in all circumstances. However, if you wish to exercise any of these rights please contact us using the details below and we'll be happy to help.
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information.
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal information.
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information.
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”).
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it.
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”).
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you.
After receiving any request, we will tell you when we expect to provide you with the information, and whether we require any fee for providing it to you. Whilst we're expected to provide you with a copy of the information free of charge, we can charge a 'reasonable fee' if your request is unwarranted.
Data retention period
GDPR says we shouldn't retain your data for longer than is necessary.
We'll only hold your personal information:-
a) For as long as we have reasonable business needs - like carrying out bookings.
b) To comply with our legal obligations to HMRC - 5 years
How you can complain
If you are not happy with how we handle your data or you have any complaint then you should tell us by email. Our address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are in any way dissatisfied with how we process your personal information, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office. This can be done at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
You can contact us:
- By post, to 8 The Hillway, Portchester, Fareham, Hants PO16 8BL
- Using our website contact form
- By telephone, on 02392 379597
- by email, using email@example.com
I was so impressed with the show, Charlie the Magician was excellent. He kept 42 children happy and totally entertained. Excellent 5 stars.
Children's entertainer, Charlie The Clown, kids birthday party clown, family & corporate shows, covering Portsmouth, Southampton, Hampshire, West, Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Dorset and beyond.